Wednesday, September 12, 2012

Four in Five

I never thought I'd be more worried about people back home in Colorado than I am worried about living in a city that deals with missile attacks. This summer wasn't great for Colorful Colorado, with the horrible Waldo Canyon fire and the Aurora movie theatre shooting. The last four months also weren't great for the University of Denver, home of the Pioneers, my home sweet home. In the last five months, the University of Denver has lost 4 of our students to various tragedies.

Back in May, Masoud Bahramisharif, an Iranian student doing his masters at DU was struck and killed by a hit-and-run driver just a block off campus.

In July, Colorado was rocked by the disastrous and tragic shooting at the midnight screening of the new Batman movie, The Dark Knight Rises. One of the victims injured in the shooting was recent DU masters grad Alex Teves. He died soon after the shooting.

In August, we lost Samm Tang, who was working as the GRE for the Apartments on campus, and pursuing his Masters in Education.

And finally, today a DU sophomore in the Daniels College of Business, Tyler Starr, took his own life, leaving his suicide note on his Facebook page.

I didn't know any of the 4 personally, but after hearing about this most recent death, I don't really have the words to express not only how much I miss Colorado and DU, but also how much sorrow I feel that we continue to lose members of the DU community. It has not been a great 5 months for the University of Denver or the state of Colorado, but I know that we will be strong through this and there will be an amazing Colorado comeback. I love CO and DU and I miss being there.

No comments:

Post a Comment