Sunday, November 14, 2010

Friends, Romans, countrymen, lend me your ears; 6 November, 2010

For another class, I was required to attend the production of Julius Caesar put on by the Theatre Department. This was certainly an interesting cultural experience, and although I wasn't a huge fan of the play itself, I thought it was done very well. The staging was very different than what I imagine Shakespeare originally intended it, but there were many things in it that Shakespeare clearly did not intend. For example, there were several Nazi references in the battle dress of some characters and the tiles on the floor of the stage were arranged in a swastika, something that clearly wasn't common in Shakespeare's time. Also, many of the characters were cross-gender cast, so many of the male roles were converted into woman's roles. I didn't really like how this was done as it seemed to detract from the huge masculinity that should have been shown in the roles of the conspirators.

No comments:

Post a Comment